A few days ago I was eating dinner in a small Vietnamese place. Of course I was the only blonde on the street. As I was enjoying my food, an elderly Vietnamese gentleman came up and asked me in French if I spoke French.
He was tall and thin, probably in his seventies, smoking a cigarette on a slender black cigarette holder. His outfit made me smile: a skin-tight white leather Dolce & Gabbana suit with shiny silver D&G buttons. Very ostentatious. And not what you'd expect from a man his age.
We then proceeded to carry on a conversation in French. Now, my French is pretty basic, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything I can say in Vietnamese! I could answer his questions about where I'm from, what I'm doing here, what I think of Hanoi. It was really great to be able to connect with an older Vietnamese in a common language, as not many older people speak English.
I just wish I'd had my camera with him to take a photo as he was such a sight to see!
Little moments like this are why I'm here.
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hi jocelyn,
it's marguerite hudson and i am thinking of you this weekend - the choir is singing Amadeus at the Opera House. It sounds beautiful....and I do miss you. How Vietnam is going well!!
Lots of love, Marguerite
Post a Comment